Off campus site code: Click to display in a new window (must log in) or have it emailed to you.
RefWorks (for OHSU students only) is a web-based bibliography and database manager. RefWorks is similar in function to products such as EndNote, Reference Manager, and ProCite. It differs in that personal databases are stored on the RefWorks server and can be accessed from any OHSU workstation or from off campus using your library barcode. You will need to sign up for an individual account the first time you use RefWorks. Once you have signed up, you’ll be allowed access to RefWorks.
For" "Generic", " Journal Article", "Magazine Article", and (possibly) "Newspaper Article" and "Website" citation types you will need to modify some settings:
- Click on the "Bibliography" button on the toolbar.
- Select the output style that you want to modify (in this case APA 6th edition), then click on the "Edit" button to the right of the output style. The Output Style Editor will open up in a new window.
- Choose a name for your new output style and enter it in the "Name" box.
- Click on the "Save As" button, which is located just above the "Name" entry box. Your new output style name will then appear in the "Style" box at the top of the screen.
- You will need to modify the settings for all of the reference types that you will be using - in our case" Journal Article", "Magazine Article", and (possibly) "Newspaper Article" and "Website"
- For each reference type,
- Select a type from the "Reference Type" drop-down menu.
- From the "Fields for this type" drop-down menu, select the "User 1" field.
- In the "Output Field Order" box, highlight the user-defined field that you just added. As soon as you select the field, "Field Settings" and "Field Comments" will appear to the right of the "Output Field Order" box.
- Modify the field settings for your annotations. If you want your annotations to begin on a new line, enter "\n" in the "Precede with" box. For help with settings, click on the "i" icon next to "Field Settings."
- To preview your settings, click on the "Update" button at the bottom of the screen.
- After you've made your changes, click on the "Save" button at the top of the screen.
- Go back and modify the settings for all of the other reference types that you will be using.
- When you are done creating your output style, close the Output Style Editor window. From within RefWorks, click on the "Bibliography" button again to refresh your output style list.