To access eBooks at WOU, search the library catalog or within an eBook collection for the title, author or subject you are looking for. WOU has eBooks on three main platforms:
When you find your eBook, you may browse/read the contents online or download the content for reading offline. Supported browsers include IE, Safari, Chrome and Firefox.
The tabs above describe the features of each of the eBook platforms at WOU.
Adobe Acrobat reader (or an equivalent browser plugin) may be required by some platforms to display content correctly. Otherwise, viewing is online, within a browser window. Firefox users may need to change some settings to use EBSCO ebooks. See that tab above for details.
Downloading eBooks/ Reading offline:
The setup for downloading library ebooks is, frankly, rather painful; however once the setup is complete, subsequent downloading is mostly straightforward.
Prepare to download:
- Create a free Adobe ID
- Create an My EBSCOhost account.
- Depending in the machine(s) you'll use for the ebooks, download and install the appropriate (free) reader applications:
- For a desktop or laptop computer: Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).
- For any e-ink eReader besides Kindle: Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).
- For any tablet or phone besides Kindle Fire: Bluefire Reader for iOS or Android.)
- For a Kindle Fire: Special instructions for installing Aldiko Book Reader
- For a Kindle eReader, no application needed (see instructions)
Then, authorize the reader application with your Adobe ID.
Once you are fully setup, the general steps of downloading are:
- Find the eBook in our collection.
- Sign in when prompted: ebrary or EBL ebooks require your WOU Pawprint; EBSCO ebooks require your My EBSCOhost account.
- Download the book, and open it in your reader application.
For further instructions specific to device types, see the "Downloading" tab above.